Garbage & Recycling Policies & Procedures
As per Chapter 125 Garbage and Recycling of Village Code.
Limitations on Refuse
- Each pickup from any property will be limited to two rigid, water tight, metal or plastic containers each having a capacity not to exceed thirty-two gallons or a weight of fifty pounds. Containers must be placed curbside, no earlier than four hours before sundown on the day before the scheduled pickup day. To expedite delivery, such containers should preferably have removable (not hinged or connected) tight-fitting metal or plastic covers.
- Owners of Multifamily properties shall place refuse for pick up in 1.5 cubic yard dumpsters placed in a single location suitable to the Department of Public Works.
- Properties using the department of public works (DPW) service for pickup of additional amounts, or properties subject to dumpster collection by DPW, will be assessed an additional fee.
Limitations on Recycling
- Commingled recyclable materials must be placed curbside in containers no larger than 32 gallons and weighing no more than 35 pounds (lbs).
- Recyclable paper materials must be placed in a separate container no larger than 14 gallons and weighing no more than 35 lbs.
- No pickup of hardcover books, paperback books, plastic bags, Styrofoam, plastic toys, or wrapping paper.
- Acceptable items: Newsprint, magazines, junk mail, telephone books, corrugated paper cardboard, glass food and beverage containers, metal food and beverage containers, HDPE and PET plastics (coded 1 through 7), aluminum trays, pizza boxes, wax cartons.
- Each recycling collection is limited to no more than four bins of commingle material and four bins of paper materials, each not to exceed 35 lbs.
- Properties using DPW service for pickup of additional recycling amounts, or properties subject to dumpster collection by DPW, will be assessed an additional fee.
Rules for Organic Waste
- Bagged leaves and grass clippings: Bagged leaves will be picked up curbside from April 1st to November 1st, on your Recycle Wednesday. They must be in brown paper bags only. No cardboard boxes, plastic bags, etc. From November 1st to January 1st, bagged leaves will be picked up during the bulk leaf pick-up days, not Recycle Wednesdays, as DPW makes repeated loops through all streets in the village. From January 1st to April 1st, all leaf pick-up, including bagged leaf pickup, will be suspended.
- Bulk leaves: Bulk leaves will be picked up curbside, as significant leaf drop begins, late October through the end of the year. Bulk leaves (including bagged leaves), must be placed within the Village right-of-way (typically first 10 feet from roadway), and not on any Village road. Do not mix sticks or brush with leaves. DPW will pick up leaves on each street, as DPW crews complete ongoing laps throughout the Village, each lap taking two to three weeks to complete. Please do not call for scheduling; leaf collection will continue until complete.
- Brush: Branches must be less than 6 inches (") in diameter, cut no longer than 5 feet (') in length, and tied. Each bundle must weigh no more than fifty (50) pounds. Small, loose brush must be placed in paper bags for curbside pick-up on Recycle Wednesday. Brush pick-up will be suspended annually from January 1st through April 1; however, brush will be picked up with Christmas trees during the month of January.
- Logs: Logs and brush in excess of 6" diameter and longer than 5' will not be picked up. Property owners will have to make other arrangements for disposal.
- Christmas trees: Christmas trees will be picked up during the month of January, curbside on your Recycle Wednesday.
Note: All organic waste material meeting the above criteria can be dropped off at the DPW yard at 10 Buckhout Road, all year, Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 3 pm. Residents or their landscapers must sign in at the DPW office. Landscapers or other employees of residents must have a note with the resident's name, address, and signature accompanying any dropped-off material.
Commingle (Cans, Bottles, & Plastic Containers)
Commingled materials will be picked up on your Recycle Wednesday. Commingled material must be placed curbside in an open container, (no larger than 32 gallons and weighing no more than 35 lbs.). Bagged commingle materials are not accepted. Must be placed loosely in a container. No more than four bins will be accepted.
- Metal food/beverage cans
- Aluminum trays
- Aluminum foil
- Aerosol cans
- Waxed cartons (e.g., milk, juice, soup cartons)
- Plastics coded 1 through 7 (food and household containers)
- Glass food/beverage containers
- Paint cans
- Metal chemical cans
- Metal coat hangers
- Plastic bags
- Plastic chemical containers
- Plastic toys
- Window glass
- All electronics (anything with a plug)
Paper and cardboard materials will be picked up on your Recycle Wednesday. Paper must be placed curbside and in an open container, or in a small cardboard box of paper bag, no larger than 14 gallons and weighing no more than 35 lbs. No more than 4 bins will be accepted.
- Envelopes and junk mail
- Cereal and tissue boxes
- Cardboard boxes (Flattened)
- Pizza boxes
- Telephone books
- Hardcover books
- Paperback books
- Milk cartons (Considered Commingle)
- Wrapping paper
All metal and electronic waste will be picked up Only by Appointment on your Recycle Wednesday.
Large bulk metal or electronic waste items require a $40 fee for pick up or may be dropped off at the DPW yard at Buckhout Road for no additional charge. Please call D.P.W. office at 914-941-9105.
Appointment & Fee Required
- Air Conditioning (AC) unit (Large)
- Washing Machine
- TV 35" and over
- Treadmill/exercise equipment
- Hot water tank
- Riding lawn mower
- Miscellaneous bulk items
- TV under 35"
- Miscellaneous small metal items
- All other electronics including lamps, stereo equipment, computers and peripherals, small appliances (all metal only), etc.
- Small Items - Drop off at Public Works
- Wiring, cell phones
- Dehumidifiers (accepted at H-MRF)
- Plastic small appliances
Paint in cans must be hardened prior to disposal. Open cans and harden paint by one of these methods:
- Kitty litter
- Speedy dry absorbent
- Waste paint hardener
Leave lids off and dispose of dried cans at the curbside on your garbage pick-up day. Please do not place them in bags.
Other Recyclable Items Not Picked up or Accepted by DPW
The Household Materials Recovery Facility (H-MRF) run by Westchester County, accepts household hazardous waste and many recyclable items from residents on a year-round appointment-only basis. The facility is located on the Grassland's Campus, 15 Woods Road, Valhalla, NY. Open Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, from 10 am to 3 pm For further information and to set up an appointment, please call 914-813-5425, or visit them online.
Fluorescent/CFL bulbs, chemicals, stains, fire extinguishers, tires, propane tanks, automotive fluids (Not motor oil), vehicle batteries, all freon-containing items such as dehumidifiers, air conditioners, refrigerators, all can be taken to the H-MRF.
|Types of Refuse Requiring Special Handling||Special Handling Action|
|Plastic Bags||Take plastic bags to the local grocery store.|
|Motor Oil||Take to a service station (Free up to 5 gallons per person).|
|Vehicle Batteries||Take to retailer who sells them (Free up to 2 vehicle batteries per person)|
|Tires||Take to retailer who sells them (for nominal fee),or take to H-MRF (up to 4 allowed).|
|Propane tanks||Take to retailer who sells them (for a nominal fee), or H-MRF.|
|Fluorescent/CFL bulbs||Take to H-MRF.|
|Automotive Fluids||Take Antifreeze, brake fluid, etc. to H-MRF, no motor oil.|
|Chemicals||Take to H-MRF.|
|Stains||Take to H-MRF.|
|Fire Extinguishers||Take to H-MRF.|
Fees for DPW Services
|Bulk Metal, Large Appliance, and Specified (large) Electronic Waste pickup (by appointment)||$40|
|Large bulk metal (requiring additional crew)||$100|
|32 Gallon container pickup Daily, annual fee||$600|
|32 Gallon container pickup Twice per Week, annual fee||$250|
|32 Gallon container pickup Twice per Month, annual fee||$125|
|1.5 Yard Dumpster pickup Daily, annual fee||$6000|
|1.5 Yard Dumpster pickup Twice per Week, annual fee||$2500|
|1.5 Yard Dumpster pickup Once per Week, annual fee||$2000|